Monday 10 March 2014




  • "AA is not for people who need it, its for people who want it."
  • "Untreated alcoholism without the steps on a daily basis will make my past my future."
  • "If youre not moving away from a drink youre moving closer to it."
  • "Sobriety is a journey ..........not a destination"
  • "Poor me.....poor me............pour me another drink"
  • "It works -------it really does ! (page 88,line 8 in the big book)"
  • "The road to sobriety is a simple journey for confused people with a complicated disease"
  • "Dont drink, read the big book, and go to meetings"
  • "Remember that alcoholism is incurable, progressive, and fatal"
  • "Call your sponsor before, not after, you take the first drink"
  • "One alcoholic talking to another...........one equals one"
  • "There are 12 steps in the ladder of complete sobriety"
  • "We can be positive that our drinking was negative"
  • "If I think, I wont drink. if I drink, I cant think"
  • "Be as enthusiastic about AA as you were about your drinking"
  • "Alcoholism is the only disease that tells you youre all right"
  • "An AA meeting is where losers get together to talk about their winnings"
  • "AA is a school in which we are all learners and all teachers"
  • "AA may not solve all your problems but it is willing to share them"
  • "There are none too dumb for the AA program but many are too smart"
  • "We all have another drunk left in us but we dont know if we have another recovery in us"
  • "The person with the most sobriety at a meeting is the one who got up earliest that morning"
  • "When a person tries to control their drinking they have already lost control"
  • "We in AA dont carry the alcoholic; we carry the message"
  • "The 3 ts of gratitude to repay AA for our sobriety: our time, our talent, our treasure"
  • "AA is the highest priced club in the world.........if u have paid the dues, why not enjoy the benefits ?"
  • "AA never opened the gates of heaven to let me in, AA did open the gates of hell to let me out"
  • "Some people are so successful in AA that they turn out to be almost as good as they used to think they were when they were drinking"
  • "Danger sign: when your eyes have wandered from the alcoholics who still suffers and needs help-----to the faults of those whom the program has already helped"
  • "First we stayed sober because we have to............"
  • "Then we stay sober because we are willing to.........."
  • "Finally we stay sober because we want to............."
  • "Active alcoholics dont have relationships; they take hostages"
  • "Every recovery from alcoholism began with one sober hour"
  • "Each and every alcoholic----sober or not----teaches us some valuable lessons about ourselves and recovery"
  • "AA has a wrench to fit every nut that walks through a meeting room door"
  • "How does one become an old-timer ? dont drink and dont die!"
  • "Even my worst day in sobriety is better than my best day drunk"
  • "When all else fails.........the directions are in the big book"
  • "All you need to start your own AA meeting is a resentment and a coffee pot!!"
  • "Why recovery never ends: the disease is alcoholISM, not alcoholWASM!"
  • "The AA way of life is meant to be bread for daily use, not cake for special occasions"
  • "The smartest thing an AA member can say is, help me"
  • "In AA we say a coincidence is a miracle in which god chooses to remain anonymous"
  • "It takes the good and bad AA meeting----the good and bad AA talk -----to make this fellowship work"
  • "AA NEVER works for people who believe they ARE god"
  • "Slippers in AA use the rdp---revolving door policy"
  • "Alcoholics heal from the outside in.........but feel from the inside out"
  • "Alcoholic drinkings three stages: impulsive, compulsive, repulsive."
  • "We came to these rooms not because we drank a lot, but because we drank too much."
  • "Having a resentment is like drinking poison and expecting someone else to die."
  • "The MIRACLE happens when we get sober. The MAGIC happens when we apply the principles to all our affairs."
  • "Having a resentment is like drinking poison and expecting someone else to die."
  • "An alcoholic without a sponsor is like leaving Dracula in charge of the blood bank."
  • "By drinking to someone elses health, you are ruining your own."
  • "If you like everyone in AA, youre not going to enough meetings!"
  • "People didnt recruit me for this program, alcohol did; and i might add: a fine job it did."
  • "Most alcoholics would rather die than learn anything about themselves. In fact, they do."
  • "My admiration for the phenomenon of Alcoholics Anonymous is boundless." ~Mercedes McCambridge
  • "The first thing in the human personality that dissolves in alcohol is dignity." ~Author Unknown
  • "You can preserve many things in alcohol...except your dignity." ~Author Unknown
  • "First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you." ~Francis Scott Key Fitzgerald
  • "One reason I dont drink is that I want to know when I am having a good time." ~Lady Astor
  • "I like liquor - its taste and its effects - and that is just the reason why I never drink it." ~Thomas Jackson
  • "Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didnt drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, it is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver." ~Jack Handey
  • " Woman first tempted man to eat; he took to drinking of his own accord. ~Four Hundred Laughs: Or, Fun Without Vulgarity, compiled and edited by John R. Kemble, 1902"
  • "Drinking makes such fools of people, and people are such fools to begin with, that its compounding a felony." ~Robert Benchley
  • "The chief reason for drinking is the desire to behave in a certain way, and to be able to blame it on alcohol. ~Mignon McLaughlin, The Neurotics Notebook, 1960"
  • "Even though a number of people have tried, no one has yet found a way to drink for a living." ~Jean Kerr
  • "Drunkenness is temporary suicide. ~Bertrand Russell, The Conquest of Happiness"
  • "Drunkenness is nothing but voluntary madness." ~Seneca
  • "When I read about the evils of drinking, I gave up reading." ~Henny Youngman
  • "How come if alcohol kills millions of brain cells, it never killed the ones that made me want to drink?" ~Author Unknown
  • "Alcohol doesnt console, it doesnt fill up anyones psychological gaps, all it replaces is the lack of God." ~Marguerite Duras
  • "Alcoholism isnt a spectator sport. Eventually the whole family gets to play." ~Joyce Rebeta-Burditt
  • "A few years back I was more a candidate for skid row bum than an Emmy. If I hadnt stopped drinking, I'd be playing handball with John Belushi right now." ~John Larroquette (adapted)
  • "There is this to be said in favor of drinking, that it takes the drunkard first out of society, then out of the world."~Ralph Waldo Emerson
  • "Alcohol is a good preservative for everything but brains." ~Mary Pettibone Poole
  • "It is most absurdly said, in popular language, of any man, that he is disguised in liquor; for, on the contrary, most men are disguised by sobriety." ~Thomas de Quincy, Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, 1856
  • "I made a commitment to completely cut out drinking and anything that might hamper me from getting my mind and body together. And the floodgates of goodness have opened upon me, spiritually and financially." ~ Denzel Washington
  • "If drinking is interfering with your work, youre probably a heavy drinker. If work is interfering with your drinking, youre probably an alcoholic." ~Author Unknown
  • "THE PROBLEM: His craving for alcohol was the equivalent, on a low level, of the spiritual thirst of our being for wholeness, expressed in medieval language: the union with God. THE SOLUTION: You see, alcohol in Latin is spiritus and you use the same word for the highest religious experience as well as for the most depraving poison. The helpful formula therefore is: spiritus contra spiritum."
  • "Those who mind, don't matter. Those who matter, don't mind."
  • "AA is not a program to get sober...its a program to live your life successfully and to be happy once you get sober."
  • "I'd never trade my worst day sober for my best day drunk."
  • "Being an alcoholic does not give me the excuse to act alcoholically."
  • "I worked my using hard, so now I want to work my sobriety hard."
  • "The shortest sentence in the Big Book is, It Works."
  • "Every time I draw a sober breath Im like a fish out of water."
  • "Drinking gave me the illusion that I might be alive." (Chekhov, Uncle Vanya)
  • "I am one drink away from never being sober again for the rest of my life."
  • "Put your chip under your tongue and if it dissolves you can take another drink."
  • "If I could drink socially I'd get drunk every night."
  • "Having a resentment is like drinking poison and expecting someone else to die."
  • "Self will imprisoned me far more than bars ever did."
  • "Ive definitely got the ism in alcoholism...thats incredibly short memory."
  • "My sobriety depends on who God is, not who I am." (Duane M.)
  • "Now that Im sober I hit my knees in a different way than I used to." (Jay)
  • "Living our pre-AA active daily lifestyle was akin to switching seats on the Titanic."
  • "A recovering alcoholic without a sponsor is much like leaving Dracula in charge of the blood bank."
  • "First the man takes a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes the man."
  • "The secret to long term sobriety: Dont drink, dont die."
  • "When I moved in sobriety, I went to the meetings and thought, Oh, you do things differently here...i.e., wrong." (Mike M.)
  • "Our defects of character are the bars of a cage. The central point is not to study the bars, but to get out of the cage."
  • "The most natural state of an alcoholic is irritable, restless, and discontented."
  • "Funny...I ruined my health by drinking to others!"
  • "The chains of alcohol are too light to be felt until they are too strong to be broken."
  • "I didnt get into trouble every time I drank, but every time I got into trouble I was drinking."
  • "Whatever you put before your sobriety; you shall surely lose."
  • "AA is not for people who need it. AA is not for people who want it. AA is for people who do it."
  • "Regarding hanging out at bars: If you hang out at the barbershop long enough you're bound to get a haircut.
  • "If you know someone who tries to drown their sorrows, you might tell them sorrows know how to swim."

No comments:

Post a Comment